Pages

Custom Search

Sunday, September 25, 2011

10 Tips on Finding a Job After College


Some of these may be obvious, but definitely helpful. The job I currently have I never thought I was qualified for, I didn't think I was good enough, and never thought in a million years I'd find a job after college. These tips helped me and hopefully they'll help you. These are in no particular order.

1. Most Employers do not rely heavily on GPA. Mine was a little above average at best, some of my friends had much better GPAs yet I was one of the first ones to get a job.



2. Be yourself. This one is obvious, but can't be stressed enough. Show them show them who you really are. Personality is just as important as knowledge! The company will definitely train you in everything you need to know.

3. Speak up, speak confidently. Be confident in how you talk to them. If you aren't sure of something tell them, be honest. Everyone appreciates honesty. Confidence can go a long way, but make sure you do not come off as cocky!

4. Firm handshakes and make sure you smile! Once again this shows confidence and shows that you have personality. I can't stress enough how big of a factor personality is. People can tell a lot by just a handshake so make it count!

5. JOB FAIRS! I wasn't going to go to the job fair in my last semester in college, but I am definitely glad I did. I was worried I wasn't qualified, I wasn't prepared and even that I didn't dress nicely enough. All that was not true and things really worked out. Job Fairs give you one of your first few chances to get your name out there. These are your biggest opportunity to find a job and one that is right for you!

6. Build up that resume. I didn't touch my resume for a long time, but a friend had helped me the night before the job fair. We fixed it and after just a little time working on it, I was very pleased with how it turned out. Make sure you include all your information in a professional layout. Make sure it is no more than a page!

7. When going into interviews, be prepare! Do your research on who is interviewing you. It pays to know a little bit about the company. It will show them how interested you really are. This is something that will really impress employers. They appreciate you taking your time to get to know the company.

8. Think about what questions that could be asked. Think about times when you were successful and unsuccessful. They will ask about both, and everyone has failed one time or another. Be specific. This will help keep you from being caught off guard by a question.

9. Don't be afraid of a commute. I drive 45 minutes to and from work everyday. It is tough, because it makes the workday a little longer. You'll definitely get used to it. It will be worth it. Many people struggle to find a job and sometime it is because they won't apply to places that are a little bit of a drive from where they live.

10. Get in your zone. Everyone gets nervous before a big interview, it's natural. Once the interview begins, just breathe and take your time answer questions. You prepared for this, following steps above will help you get into a rhythm and the interview will end up being easy and successful!

You can get a job in this economy, just work hard, be confident and put yourself out there and you'll be fine. Good luck graduates!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6565704

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails